new chick pastey butt / protruding rectum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Have a baby chik 5 days old now.
    He had hatch problems sticky and then wouldnt try and eat food so i eye driopper feed him.
    Yestersay he ate really well. first time solids.soften and was happy no peeping like he had been constantly. Content..
    This morning he peeped a lot and yet didnt want but 2 bites of food .I looked and he had dried pastey butt maybe from last night as i didnt check him then
    SO Dumb of me,.,
    Anyway cleanedi it off and now his butt hole i guess it is is sticking out a pink soft lump. I assume its has poo in there big time but the thing is i cant see the actual hole.(but i do have bad eye sight) Didnt know what to do didnt have vaseline so put neosporin on lightly. to help heal it
    What else can i do ?. I tryed to push it back gentley in but couldnt
    Should I ijust leave him alone now or soak his butt in warm water or cold what.?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would soak his little butt in some warm water. I had a chick like this last spring, it got a taste for pine shavings and impacted itself. Several times a day (more like everytime I heard its frantic little "I can't poo" chirp) I would soak its bottom in warm water to loosen things up and VERY GENTLY take a pair of tweezers to remove the hard stuff. Now that little chick that couldn't go to the bathroom on its own is my sweet, beautiful Silkie rooster. Good luck, hope you get the little one sorted out!
    Nikki

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. moni123

moni123 New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    keeeep cleaning......
    but the thing is that,
    u should find why this is happening?
    why?
    so i think that ur chick got this health problem because u dont care of the temperature
    i mean when chicks gets cold...tempereture.
    things got stuck on there butts :p..
    dont get me wrong but i think..
    u give ur chick warm temperature,
    + give it some flour and some lil water
    and made somethin like watery dough,
    and let it eat it for some days..
    he, ll be fine..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by