New chick pecking established chicks

Mama Hen Chris

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Peoria, AZ
I have had my 2 Black Australorps (dob 7/28) and 2 Speckled Sussexes (dob 8/4) chicks since August 8th. They get along great. Decided to add one more chick to the flock while I was at the feed store and now she is the bully. She is a Delaware (dob 7/28) and was fine for a couple hours with girls and she started pecking and pulling wings and feathers on 3 of them. She seems to leave the "runt" alone. I put her in "solitary" but facing the girls in their crate. After a couple hours, I put her in with the 4 girls again. All was peaceful for a half hour and then she was back at pecking again. Back to solitary for the night. She "cried" for the longest time , but eventually fell asleep. (is odd she never "napped" as the other gals "napped" on and off during the day.) She was very calm and quiet this morning and seemed to learn her lesson. I put her back with the girls, they ate and drank and scratched. Looked like all was well...back to pecking and back to solitary.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? It seems the reverse is happening, that the new kid is pecking the established and not the other way around. I haven't seen this question posted on the forum. Help...I am thinking maybe taking her back and get a younger one that was dob 8/4?

Put Her in a box (not to small) By herself with a heat lamp, and some water, A lil food, Mabe keep her like that for a few days then try putting her back in with the others, That's all i can tell u for now
smile.png

Hope it help's!

I have her in our small dog crate with her food and water and light. She can see her new "sisters". Have to use the "Tough Love" on her. I take her out and hold her and talk to her. This may calm her down.

Will keep you posted in a couple days of our progress.

Thanks

Well, Bridget has been in solitary on and of for a couple days. I put her in with the rest of the girls last night and she slept all night without incident. About an hour after they ate this morning, she was pecking again. Back to solitary. Read that vinegar in the water is supposed to help alleviate the problem? ALso read that most would cull her. She is only 4 weeks old.

Decided to call the place we bought her from. The gentleman that answered knew nothing about chickens. Decided to call another feed store and the lady was very helpful. She never heard of the newbie pecking on the established girls but said it could happen. Happens when she puts broods in with one another when she needs a new brooder. I was told Bridget needs a week of tough love. Put her in the brooder with the others for a couple of minutes. If she starts pecking to poke her to get the message and back to solitary. Tried that a couple times today and looks like it is working. She did not like getting "pecked" from me. Also was told I could get a spray fro the issue. I asked about Bitter Apple spray and she said that should work too. I will try anything to stop the issue. I know there is a pecking order but she shouldn't be pecking everyone!

She is actually sleeping with the rest of the girls again tonight. Is funny that she wants to sleep in the middle of them. She buries herself under the other 4. Maybe she has separation anxiety!
smile.png
Will see how they do when the sun comes up.

66234_img_4115.jpg

Bridget-the new girl
66234_img_3833.jpg

Hazel
66234_img_4119.jpg

Apolonia & Josephine
66234_img_4118.jpg

Sophie & Apolonia

I don't mean this unkindly but, are your other chicks uh, wimps sorry I can't think of a nicer word. I'm wondering why they don't fight her back. They make it easy for her to be a bully. Maybe if you had an older, chick it would put her in her place. I think she just pecks and bullies because she CAN. Oh maybe she is just lacking chicken social graces. Kinda like a boy that sticks the girls pigtails in an inkwell because he doesn't know how to connect with her. Oh no, are more of my life's secrets slipping out?

P.s. I never had pigtails, and our first school had inkwells but no ink in them.

Good Morning Drumstick Diva,

I also wondered why the others girls do not fight back as well. I think you are right about the social graces. I guess Bridget missed the class in social etiquette. I think with me being the "older chick" and "pecking" her she is finding it isn't too fun to be on the receiving end.

I think way back when, we had some desks that had inkwells and then we ended up with more "modern" desks. That was ages ago!!

Back
Top Bottom