New chick question

kgb6days

Songster
Mar 6, 2016
I'm a newbie at raising baby chicks and have a question. I've got 6 chicks (4 black sex links, 2 Leghorns) that are 4 weeks old, and today bought 2 EEs that are 1 week old. I've got them in the same crate but separated by wire and a piece of cardboard so they can't even see each other. I've got the heat lamp set up with appropriate temps for each age chick (checked with thermometer). At what age can I allow them together? I want to assure there is no damage done.

At 4 weeks your chick's no longer need the heat lamp. You would be better getting your 4 week out of the brooder and then setting up something that allows your 4 week to move around and get away from the heat but see and hear the younger chicks. If not that then move your 4 weeks to the coup and wait until you new chick's are about 4 weeks and put them together (seperate them from each other for a week, so they can see each other and become familiar.)

Thanks for the answer. I've got the heat lamp pretty much off the 4 week old chicks. Husband and son in law working hard today on the coop and run. They should have it finished tomorrow. I may move them tomorrow if they are finishied

Thanks for the answer.  I've got the heat lamp pretty much off the 4 week old chicks.  Husband and son in law working hard today on the coop and run.  They should have it finished tomorrow.  I may move them tomorrow if they are finishied

I am sure they will love the space. When you get ready to move your new chick's out, 3 + weeks, make sure you give them time that they can see each other but cannot interact. Maybe have your guys build a cage in the coop, where the little ones can safely, stay for a week. It will come in handy anytime you introduced another hen to your flock or need to seperate your birds due to injury.

Back
Top Bottom