new chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seminolewind, Sep 11, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I got 3 baby chicks in the mail today, we put them in a box with paper towels, they drink water and eat the starter, and peep. Question, do they sleep? I know that sounds dumb, but they are huddled together, and actually lay their head down and close their eyes.
    My other question is are two day old chicks a bit wobbly on their legs? Need all the advice I can get, Thanks, Karen

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Usually if they are huddled together it's because they are cold. Double check your heat lamp and thermometer. Yes, they do sleep - they usually run around eat and drink and then all of a sudden they look like they dropped dead, but they are actually sleeping. I don't remember mine being wobbly on their legs. Do you have alot of wood shavings under your paper towel? That might cause wobbliness. Good luck with your new babies. They grow FAST!

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi Heidi, That's what they do, they eat and drink and then they look like they dropped dead. I didn't realize that they really sleep like that. I guess I don't mean wobbly, maybe not having great balance yet?

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    They should really have thier legs by now. Make sure you use pine shavings. Newspaper will be slippery and you don't want to end up with a splayed legged chick!

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Mine were wobbly for a couple of days but they grew out of it. Now it looks like Nascar in the brooder box. Car makers could only wish for the 0-60 in 1.1 sec. These little ones move faster than a snowball on a 90 degree slope. As for the sleeping....mine can stop mid stream and fall asleep. Talk about narcolepsy. Jeesh, mine would still be running, then come to a dead stop and fall asleep standing up teetering. I just watch ready for them to topple over any second. They never do though. You're doing fine. Just make sure the temp is where its supposed to be for their age.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  6. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I'm just starting my second week with my firsts and was questioned by my DW on several occasions about them 'looking dead'. We just look for the signs of breathing. I too was amazed at how fast they start running around the place. It's incredible! And a few were flying onto the top of my quart jar feeder and waterer on about day 5.

Enjoy them!

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Schlitz, what kind of rooster is Hayden?

8. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    He is some kind of a Mutt! [​IMG]

He probably has some easter egger in him, but as to what else, I have no idea. He was a 'gift' from a co-worker around the end of July. Her daughter got him back around Easter.

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    He sure is a beauty, maybe he should become a new breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by