New chick question

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
I am brand new at this. I will be getting 10 chicks in April. We are located on the east coast of Mass. Will I need to keep them inside for 4 weeks, then move them to the hen house with a lamp? I am not planning on heating the hen house. I am planning to use DLM. I read that they need 2-4 sq ft per chick? I could make the hen house "smaller" with cardboard or chicken wire and increase as they grow?
Then hen house will be about 80 sq ft with an additional roosting area of 72 sq ft., fully insulated with natural light and an attached hen run.

Thanks for your help!

I'd keep them in at least a garage or basement for about 3-4 weeks, with a heat lamp. You can decrease the temp. by about 5 degrees per week by just moving the light futher away from what you have them in. They should do fine in the coop at 4-5 weeks but, still supply heat just in case they was to need it. Chicks of that age do not need 2-4 sq. feet
per chick. They do need dry bedding and fresh water and starter feed. Something 4 ft.x 4 ft. or 5 ft. x 5 ft. should be fine. Just don't allow it to get too dirty or to remain wet for any period of time.
Welcome to BYC..........and you'll do just fine.

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence!
smile.png

Jeff's right, you'll do fine. A general rule of thumb is that they are fully feathered at about six weeks old, hence will not need heat at that point. Myself, I'd still provide some minor supplemental heat at that age in the dead of winter. I have 18 chicks from five to nine weeks old in a 4x7 nursery coop with 2-250 watt heat lamps. One was only a 100 W red flood, but we got some really cold temps (4 degrees) in the last couple of days and I actually added heat for the younger ones. They have deep litter, for sure, in there, but still, the water will freeze if there isn't some way to keep it defrosted.

Back
Top Bottom