New Chick Question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnny_smith09, Apr 18, 2007.

1. johnny_smith09

johnny_smith09 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Norfork, AR
    ok one of my broody hens hatched a chick out. im worried because the hen steps on the chick's head. also the chick still has yolk out of his naval cavity. doesnt that go in as the chick dries? and oh yeah--is the chick's neck supposed to look like it is limp lol? i think it is--ive hatched before. but can you answer to keep me from being all stressed?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. johnny_smith09

Apr 14, 2007
    Norfork, AR
    need answer--the chick is just really tired now!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Just a little of what I know. The navel will dry up in a couple of days. And chicks don't have a LOT of control of themselves for a couple of days. Mama hens aren't the most gentle Mama's either. If a bug comes by they will run over whatever to get to it. The baby only knows to stay close and under Mom for protection and warmth. He'll get the hang of it in a couple days.

4. johnny_smith09

Apr 14, 2007
    Norfork, AR
    are the chick's neck really flimsy after it has hatched?

5. johnny_smith09

Apr 14, 2007
    Norfork, AR
    recent update*** i left the hen alone with her chick and 30 min later i come to a dead bloody chick outside the nest. that stupid hen- i trusted her! well i put one of my TRUSTED setters on the nest and ill think they will be fine. i was gonna ring that hens neck! i was devestated on having to bury that beautiful araucana chick!

6. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    my heart goes out to you it is never easy to loose a baby chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by