New chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdr250, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    I have 5 six day old red sexes, a friend has 3 one day old rir he wants to give me. He wants me to pick them up tomorrow, can I put them in the same brooder with the red sexes? I'm hoping so because I don't really want to have to brooders set up in the house.

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I just did this with chicks even further apart in ages & they were just fine. Just watch the behaviour to begin with.

I think/hoping [​IMG] that the once I added were all female so there was no problem...theory being if 1 had been a potential roo' the older male chicks might have gone after it.... just a personal theory.

3. jdr250

Apr 24, 2008
    Well the six day olds are all supposed to be pullets though I am unsure about one because it's really blonde as apposed to being as red as the others. But there may be one roo in the new batch would that still be ok?

4. eggzettera

I would try it if they pick on him they may know more then we do, I say go for it & let us know.

5. jdr250

Apr 24, 2008
    Will do! Thanks for the help.
    Oh I posted earlier but got no answer do the chicks feathers change colors when they are adult? My red sexes have beige wing feathers and everything I read says that red sexes are red when they are adult.

6. eggzettera

[​IMG] Sorry don't know the answer to that you may have better luck starting a thread in the "What breed/Gender" Forum & put "red sex link" in the header....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by