New Chick -- quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by G8REngineer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. G8REngineer

G8REngineer New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    I scoured the forums before posting a note. I feel I have a different view which is more hands off and letting nature manage my birds. Thus, a quick post to summarize my next steps.

I had a hen that became broody so I decided several weeks ago to let nature take its course. There were three eggs and the first hatched today (I have a rooster, and three hens: Barred Rock).

Everyone is still in the coop and I am inclined to continue to allow nature to manage this. It will be chilly tonight, down to about 36F and there are still two more eggs to hatch.

So the questions:
    - leave the chick or get it inside?
    - do I need to do anything special or just momma keep the chick warm, feed it, and care for it?
    - remainder of week, next week?

I have a 4x12 foot total coop with a 4x4 hen house two feet off the ground. One more cold day tomorrow and back to the high 50s by end of week, low 40s at night. I feed them chicken mash and have a heated water supply.

Thanks!
    John
    Cleveland, GA

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Leave mom to do what she knows. Chicks will go under her to stay warm even with other eggs hatching. Feed them chick starter, even mom, she needs the protein more than the calcium right now till she starts laying again.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. G8REngineer

G8REngineer New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding feeding Mom chick starter. I usually set food at the far end of the coop from the hen house. Should I put food and water right by the egg box where she is?

I assume in the next week she will get everyone out doors, managing the chicks up and down the ramp into the hen house?

Will the other girls try to hurt the chicks?

Human holding/touch OK?

Thank you thank you!
    John
    Cleveland, GA

PS -- that chick is pretty cute. My wife and I are expecting a baby in the next week and I told her the hen would beat her -- like clockwork!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think a few feet away is fine.
    There were times that mom and chicks went down the ramp, but the chicks had trouble getting back up. And for the first 2 weeks, I did fence them off from the others to prevent the chicks from getting out for a while.
    Sure you can touch and hold them. But I would wait until mom is done and walking around . The chicks will follow her everywhere, and get under her when they're cold.

I'm not sure about other hens bothering them. I hope someone else will answer.

5. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Congrats on the new chick.
    We had a broody that hatched out 6 the beginning of November. She was with our 6 other hens and quickly let them know that they were not to bother the little ones. We did have a seperate place for her in the coop away from the others but by week 2 1/2 she had them integrated into the flock and they are all sleeping together at night. I think as long as they are not overcrowded, they should be ok. You will want to make sure that the little ones cannot get out of their run. You would be surprised how easy it is for them to escape [​IMG]

6. Super Spy

Super Spy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    Quote:I know, the babies are so energetic and can escape through the smallest of holes. That is my mom ^ by the way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by