New Chick--Respiratory Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BBGun, Feb 14, 2013.

1. BBGun

BBGun New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi guys,

I just purchased my very first chicks ever. I love them! I got a Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Ameraucana, Two Australorps and a Jersey Giant.

The one Australorp, who is about 1.5 weeks old, was very...mellow...when she was sold to me. I noticed she was quite content to just sit there with her eyes closed, but didn't think much of it.

When I got home, I realized, she was not mellow--she was SICK. She has been coughing, sneezing, and her breathing is very labored. She would stand there with her eyes closed, breathing very hard. Frankly, I did not think she was going to last the night. She was very weak. She did not have any discharge from her nostrils or eyes though.

All the other chicks were exposed to her for some time, as I had left them alone to not add to their stress of a new environment.

Anyhow, she still has a cough, but her energy has completely returned. She is probably the most dominant of the flock, very energetic, eats tons of food, and drinks water. Her stool looks healthy, and she's a sweetheart. I am concerned about her cough though.

Is it likely, if she's full of energy (and becoming more energetic by the day), that she will be able to beat this illness? She's on medicated food, and I've added antibiotics to her drinking water. I've got all the chicks on medicated food and antibiotics in their drinking water, hoping it will help prevent illness. Most of the chicks were vaccinated, but this one that is sick, I do not believe ever was vaccinated.

I'd appreciate any of your advice on treating my baby, and the likely outcome of this situation. Will it effect her egg production if she does survive to maturity? Will she be a danger to the rest of my flock? This is all new to me.

Thanks!

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    I would try the poultry remedy called Vet Rx. It temporarily relieves and treats respiratory ailments. You can purchase it at your local farm store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by