New chick seems "out of it"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gardenlady2, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I received my first order of chicks yesterday. One of them, a Dominique, isn't acting right at all. She spends most of her time standing in one spot, occasionally sitting down. I never see her take more than 2 steps unless other chicks are bumping in to her. We've been able to get her to drink some by dipping her beak into the water, but can't get her to eat. Gave her a little sugar water yesterday evening. She peeped some. We figures she wouldn't make it through the night, but today she's still hanging in there. She had a pasty butt so I cleaned her up for the most part and got her to drink again. She's peeping more and moves around a little more, but by that I mean occasionally taking 2-3 steps. She doesn't walk to the water or food, and I think her eyes are closed all the time. Any thoughts or suggestions? We're using only organic products, so I'm limited in what I can give her. My husband read to try yogurt?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I would feed her sugar water, 3 tablespoons per quart, and add Quik Chick or give her Gro Gel or Nutri Drops if you have it. I would feed her via an eye dropper every hour or two. Soak and make a slurry out of the chick food and use that later, would try to get liquid into her first. Make sure she is in a good spot in the brooder (where the other chicks want to hang out) not standing in the back or something because she doesn't want to move.

3. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    Don't know what did it, but she is suddenly opening her eyes, walking around more, and even ate and drank!!!!! She's still a little sluggish, but hopefully she'll continue to improve now that she's eating!

4. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    She passed away peacefully in my husband's hands last night. We aren't raising these chickens to be pets, but having spent hours and hours nursing this one, I became quite attached and cried when she finally gave up. Poor little girl. At least she's not suffering anymore. It just wasn't meant to be.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about the chick, it is amazing how fast you can get attached to the little things. Good luck with the rest of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by