"NEW" Chick Sexing Page

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CountryRoosterUSA, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Help,
    I'm trying to build a page for the forum, showing ways people have of sexing their chicks, of the different breeds.
    By feathers, comb, color, markings or any other way.
    Do you know, or have heard of any ways to tell the differents between the boys and the girls ?
    { example } Red Sex-Links, - males hatch out white -- females hatch out buff or red }
    I know they will all not be tried and true, but it might give a newbie and also some long time chicken people, a good idea of what to look for or how to do it.
    I appreciate any help you can give
    Thank You

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    What a wonderful idea!

Hrm.... EEs are a really common bird people post to be sexed. Here's what I go by:

1.)Roosters in most breeds will often (but not always) feather out more slowly than the hens, especially in the tail.

2.)Roosters EEs will quickly develop a really sharply defined rows of bumps on their comb in a formation of three (IF they have the pea
    comb). This sharp definition will rapidly redden and swell out of the rooster's forehead as they age. Pullets may display the triple row, but it will be very shallow rows of unequal proportion, and very difficult to make out.

3.) Rooster EEs will feather in a specific color pattern compared to females. They will develop a color on their breast (usually red) that can be found spotting the wing bow. (for example, a white and black bird grows in red on the chest, and a smattering of red on the wings = roo).

4.) Roos in most breeds will carry themselves with a very upright posture, and will have very thick legs compared to their fellow hens.

and last but NOT least: If you don't know the gender of an EE, sweet-talk Illia into looking at pictures of your bird, and she will work magic. [​IMG] (sorry Illia, but it's true!).

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I think i read that a fast feathering male to a slow feathering female = feather sexed chicks for example welsummer cross orpington, roo's have one row of feathers, hens have 2 [​IMG]

4. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    btw that only works on day olds i think [​IMG]

5. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] someone please post something about barredrocks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Barred Rocks (at least pure ones) are pretty easy actually. The barred gene is linked to the X chromosome, so females (who have XX) have double the bar gene, and end up looking dark colored.

Males only have one X (XY), and thus only have one bar gene, which results in a much lighter color overall.

Generally, females will have darker legs than the males too, but I have seen varying luck by using that alone.

Hope that helps!

Edit for PS: Sorry didn't mean to hijack thread. I'll be quiet and let others post [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    thanks! I'll have to post a picture of my supposed to be 2 pullets barredrocks (we think one is a male) [​IMG] so maybe we can see if we are right. They pretty much look the same with a slight almost un-noticeable difference. Also they act different, (michelle) will always "laydown" (lucy) never laysdown and will not cower when the rooster comes near. Can behavior help sex a bird?

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here here...BR female on top, BR male on bottom...you can tell this even at a young age...one of the easier ones I think

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    there was someone else who wanted to do this also...with lists of the different chickens, traits and also updated pic from week to week to show how they mature and easily be able to tell what they are if you happen upon one that is say 3 weeks old...still waiting for someone to do this...or start a new thread for each breed...

I try to take pics of mine weekly in case I can help someone identify theirs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by