New Chick Shipment = FAIL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HathawayHens, Mar 8, 2012.

1. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Well, got 25 assorted rare breed females in the mail today, FINALLY... 5 DOA, 5 more dead since then, at least 5 additional look to be on their way out. :( Now I see what everyone gets so sad about. It's terrible. Good heat, elecrolytes, vitamins, and thinking about a little mashed starter... hoping to save some of the rest. They are pretty dehydrated. :( Sigh.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

3. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Awww, I'm so sorry. I came so close to ordering mail order and then changed my mind. I keep hearing so many bad stories of mail order. Again, I'm soooo sorry you had a bad experience.

4. HathawayHens

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Yup - it really does stink when they arrive so weak and cold and you are trying to help them... blech. :(

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    So sorry for your loss :( I know how upsetting it can be when you lose a chick.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    I don't think I will order via mail order again. Although our chicks arrived thriving and all 27 have lived (so far 2 wks old), I don't want to worry again. I know that the local feed stores order from these companies, in reality we are just adding a middle man in some cases. I have found that there are alot of local people that I can purchase chicks from, I think if we need chicks in the future we buy from a local person.
    Sorry for your trauma! I can not imagine what you are going through.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Sorry to hear about your loses. I am fortunate that there are a LOT of feed stores within about 20 miles of my house that sell chicks. I have not bought any through the mail. I suspect that most of them get their chicks through the mail but at least I don't have top deal with it.

8. HathawayHens

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Yes, it is true it's so much easier to not have to open that sad box yourself... :( I do have local peeps, but I am hoping for some unusual breeds, and since we live in a residential setting I would still have the other sad side of the issue - rooster disposal - if I got straight run. I guess the only answer is to move out to ten acres and have a FARM! :) btw, down to only 6 chicks left. :( :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by