New chick sick? HELP

malkered

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Brighton, United Kingdom
This little one just hatched (from a light green egg) a few minutes ago.

She/he seems to have a problem with his/her back end. Has anyone seen this? What do I do?

It looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac. All you can really do is leave it be and hope it absorbs. Hopefully it stays clean and doesn't get infected. I usually set them on a damp paper towel to keep the area clean an moist, but with such a small incubator, that would probably jack your humidity way up...

It looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac. All you can really do is leave it be and hope it absorbs. Hopefully it stays clean and doesn't get infected. I usually set them on a damp paper towel to keep the area clean an moist, but with such a small incubator, that would probably jack your humidity way up...

Thank you for your reply. She was in a larger incubator but there are four other chicks in there who were pecking at her so I warmed the room up to as warm as possible and moved her into the smaller incubator on her own. She's still chirping and breathing well and I think the sac is already smaller. The humidity in the incubator is 53% would a dry paper towel be any good?

Thank you for your reply. She was in a larger incubator but there are four other chicks in there who were pecking at her so I warmed the room up to as warm as possible and moved her into the smaller incubator on her own. She's still chirping and breathing well and I think the sac is already smaller. The humidity in the incubator is 53% would a dry paper towel be any good?

Thats a good sign! I wouldn't use a dry paper towel, the yolk sac might stick to it. If the humidity is at 53%, I'd go ahead and add a damp paper towel for it to sit on.

Back
Top Bottom