New chick sick - worming stuff isnt in - soft eggs - help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crystal-Chicken, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Crystal-Chicken

Crystal-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2015
    A new hen just a couple months old has started to get poop stuck to her bottom. Before this one of our oldest chickens who was very slowly dying had lost feathers and had poop all over her bum and she mixed with our less old chickens and the newest flock because all her friends died and we thought she just had to be with the other, but this chicks name is Ruby. There has been several occasions where she just lays a soft egg in the middle of the yard even though she knows where to go to lay eggs. She once even laid a soft shell during the night.

We think that she may just need to be wormed, but the vets around where we live haven't got any worming stuff in and wont have for a while, they said. does anyone know what she has and/or what can help Ruby?

P.S. She hasn't laid soft shell eggs for a while, then started laying huge eggs (80g or more) but still has poop stuck to her bottom, just wondering if there's something that can stop her from doing that?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you live in the US? Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are easy to find in feed stores. She may have something wrong with her shell gland or plumbing, but you can usually find liquid calcium in the cattle aisle of feed stores.Layer feed contains more calcium, and placing some crushed oyster shell or feeding back crushed egg shells to the hens can help. Some hens can continue to lay soft eggs, and those may later develop egg yolk peritonitis if eggs break inside of them.

1 person likes this.
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Poopy butts are something you are going to have to live with unless you are prepared to give regular baths. Trimming some vent feathers may keep it to a minimum.

You should definitely worm your birds once a year at least. Fall is the best time since they have slowed down laying usually, and not as many eggs get wasted. This also gets them in good health for the winter. You find wormers at the feed stores. I have never gotten wormers from my vet.

Soft-shelled eggs are pretty common in new layers and birds coming back into lay after a molt. It does not necessarily mean there is a problem. It is usually just a glitch in the plumbing.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Where do you live? Let us know and we'll try to help you find what wormers are available in your area.

-Kathy

5. Crystal-Chicken

Oct 27, 2015
    Hi, thanks
    I live in South Australia. We just cant find a place where it's sold, and I'm just worrying a bit too much i guess.
    Thanks

6. Crystal-Chicken

Oct 27, 2015
    I live in South Australia - up in the hills, so preferably not a long drive :)
    thanks

7. Crystal-Chicken

Oct 27, 2015
    Yeah i know, ive seen my chooks get poopy butts all the time, just not as much as this and im just worried since one of our first chooks had a bad disease with a very poopy butt.
    We've looked around alot, no sign of wormers, and our local feed stores dont usually have them in.
    Thanks

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Do these stores sell horse wormer? If so, look for one that ends in zole and let us know what the active ingredient is. Horse wormers can be used in poultry.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Fenbender 100 can be used, but it's expensive.

-Kathy

10. Crystal-Chicken

Oct 27, 2015
    No, none of the stores sell any wormers. And when they do they only sell it in quantities for 60 chooks.
    We think she's ok at the moment, but we'll let you know if anything changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by