New Chick Struggling - just came home today

mmcallahan

Hatching
Feb 6, 2016
Of my 4 chicks picked up today (1 week old), one is listless and I wonder if she'll make it through the night. Perhpas she hasn't drank enough (although I did dip her beak when we came home)? I've given her some drops off my finger, but she can't stand and has her eyes closed, odd breathing. Suggestions for next steps? I'm a newbie so any advice appreciated. She's a blue wyandotte.
Thanks!

Put some electrolytes in her water (pedialyte, gatorade will do in a pinch,) and dip her beak several times an hour tonight. Check her vent for any pasty butt, and clean it off with warm water and tissue if necessary. Sprinkle chick crumbles around her feet to encourage her to peck and eat. Make sure she is warm enough by placing a thermometer on the floor of the brooder ujnder the warmest spot ujnder the heat lamp. 90 degrees F is about right, with a cooler spot to get to. If she was shipped in the mail to the first place, she may have suffered from shipping stress which js usually getting cold and dehydrated. Watch the others closely to make sure they are drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom