New chick that did not absorb yolk and is spraddled

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IdealisticRoo, Jan 5, 2011.

1. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Hi, Thank you for reading this, any advice or opinions would be appreciated. The biggest help is realizing that I am not alone in this! I love BYC!

I have a chick now 36 hours old that I saw a hernia on as soon as it flipped out of the shell. I left it in the bator for 24 hours, then put a bandaid on its underside so it would not step on its guts!

This chick seems happy and does not seem to be in any pain. I moved it this morning at 34 hours old to an aquarium with its hatch buddy. A picture is below.

My question is: Can I just leave the legs spraddled?

My reason for thinking I need to is that some of the egg yolk has formed a chunk against the bandaid and it would pull the top of the leg out if I was to try and pull the bottom of the legs together with a pipe cleaner or a bandaid.

THis chick is SO active and happy!

[​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try to loosen yolk with iodine/setral saline solution. You can make him a "diaper" out of seran wrap and tape his guts up in place, leaving a hole for him to poo. Then bandage the legs for straddle legs.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Don't know what to say. I am new at this. Just sending prayers your way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by