new chick--unbilical cord?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mimigwen, Nov 20, 2010.

1. mimigwen

mimigwen New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    We hatched our first batch of chicks today with our incubator. Of the 6, 4 hatched easily, one died in the shell, fully formed--after pecking a good sized hole in the egg [​IMG] The remaining chick (hatched 5 out of 6) has an umbilical cord, which 12 hours or so after hatching has dried up and is training around after him. The other chicks want to peck at it--should I leave everybody alone or separate that chick until it falls off? Can I cut it off--would it hurt anything? I know not to pull it off, but I'm afraid the other chicks will...

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Seperate it for sure. Can you post a picture? If it's all dried up I think you could clip it off close, but it's best to leave it alone otherwise--maybe use a bit of vet wrap to bind it close to the body so the chick doesn't step on it.

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. mimigwen

mimigwen New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    FYI chick is the same size the other shick from the same hen (3 different hens contributed <G>), and seems to be walking around, pooping and pecking just fine...

Not sure how to post a picture if I don't have it published. I took some on the camera and have them uploaded from the computer--can anyone help?

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    they say you can use the upload tabs at the top of the page [​IMG] i use photobucket and just copy and paste the link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by