New chick under a broody pecked by another hen.

Rscopin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
I have a dark Brahma bantam that just hatched a new chick yesterday. Another hen pecked the chick on the neck pretty bad. The chick seems like it will be ok if I can figure out where to put her and the hen. The hen is still on 2 other eggs.

Should I just forget about the eggs and move them to another broody? I tried moving the hen and the chick and eggs to a pen and the hen was not happy. She seemed like she was still caring for the chick but wouldn't lay on the eggs in the box I provided. She actually pulled them out!

I am concerned about infection in the chick at the coop. When I put the hen back with her eggs and chick in the open nest box she was content. I do have chicks hatching in the incubator today and tomorrow. I could put the chick in a box with them. What do you think?

Maybe you could block off that nest box somehow so the others can't get in there with her. Then as soon as all hatch, move her to the pen. Obviously you can't move her and still have her hatch those eggs so that's the only option I can think of other than putting her chicks with the others in the brooder. Were it me, I'd be inclined to do it the other way around: Put the chicks from the incubator under the hen.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I had to cull the chick last night. I had blocked the nest box but another hen somehow got in from the back. The chick was badly pecked. The chick was still standing and peeping but it had no neck skin left and the flesh was in shreds and dried out. I felt so bad.
If any more chicks hatch I think I'll just bring them inside. This was disturbing.

So sorry to hear that
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom