New Chick urban farmer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GingerC, Mar 4, 2015.

1. GingerC

GingerC Hatching

Mar 1, 2015
    Tacoma, Washington
    HI, We are new parents of 5 little chicks. We have had them four days. This afternoon I noticed that one of the little girls is favoring her leg, not knowing what else to do I have separated her from the others in a cardboard box with food and water within the brooder. She has eaten and has pooped. She seems healthy...she is actually chirping quite a bit and is looking for her little sisters. Anything else I should do???

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm not sure what you mean by "favouring her leg" does she have a leg injury? Their is the injuries section you could post your question in giving as much info as possible.
    I hope your chick will be ok. Putting another quiet one with her should reduce her stress. Chicks don't like to be on their own. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

3. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

@Yorkshire coop has given you some good advice about getting your little chick company, chickens are social animals and don't like to be alone. And do share as much information as possible on the emergencies/diseases section of BYC, maybe someone there can help.

Good luck to you!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

X3 on the advice from Yorkshire coop and NorthFlchick.

Try not to keep the chick separated, you can put up some wire so they can still see each other until you are sure you can place them back together. See if you can describe the problem with some more detail in emergencies if the chick is still not walking normally today.

Hoping the chick is ok.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do her feet look abnormal by that I mean are her toes curled up, or her feet splayed to the side, this could cause an odd gait. If you touch her legs or feet does she seem to be sensitive or in pain?

1 person likes this.
  6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    We're glad you decided to join the ''flock''! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there is a lot of great info on this site and I'm sure you'll find answers! [​IMG] Enjoy those chickys!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about your injured chick![​IMG] I would definitely post in the Emergencies section for some helpful advice.[​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your chick is OK.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I hope your chick is okay!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: