New chick very lethargic and not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaitie09, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Just got 7 chicks that shipped from My Pet chicken yesterday afternoon. 6 of them are fine, but one is very lethargic and does not look like it is going to make it. She also has clear, watery poo. I do have Save-A-Chick, but should I also give her some sugar water?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Take a little of the sav a chick powder in a bottle cap. Mix with a little water till it gels up. Get the chick to injest some. If it won't eat, then try some sugar water or gator aid to dip beak in to give a boost... Keep seperate so it doesn't get trampled on.

3. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Sadly, she died. She thew up a white mucus and and then stopped breathing. I replaced all the bedding in case it was contagious and gave some save-a-chick to the other guys. They are all on medicated food right now too.

New question, I don't care about getting my $3.25 refund for this girl, but I am worried that she hatched so sick. Do you think I should call and let them know in just in case?

4. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I'd call them and let them know. They have a 48 or a 72 hour replacement policy, plus all of my interactions with them have been positive. They are nice people. I'd give them a ring and let them know what happened.

Sorry you lost a chick though.

5. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I did end up calling. More because if there way something wrong with her, it would at least be good to get it on file.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry....shipping can be very hard on them and some just don't recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by