New Chick VERY Wobbly-UPDATE =(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Aug 29, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my chicks this morning, and I have one little one who isn't doing very well. He's very wobbly, and sleeps A LOT. I did put bandaids on his legs because one seems splayed. I've been pulling him out of the brooder to do beak dips on vitamin/electolyte water and yogurt. Is there anything else I can try? When he's back in the brooder all he does is sit there with his eyes closed. His siblings can walk all over him and he doesn't move. Poor little baby. [​IMG]

Sonja

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    i'v always had great luck with sugar and water mixed in warm water maybe the electrolites will do the same thing

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't let the other chick walk all over him. They can kill him.

Make sure he is keeping warm. You can try some baby liquid vitamins (3 drops along the edge of his beak so you don't drown it) daily to give it a big boost.

If you continue with sugar water as suggested for more than 1 day you will end up with pasty butt issues. You don't want that. Sugar water acts as a laxative drawing liquid into the intestines and forces everything out. Not good. You can try honey - same effect to some extent but better than sugar water and only for one day.

Sadly, it is very normal for chicks die in the first week. There is often nothing you can do to prevent it either.

Good luck with your little one.

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Our little sick chick didn't make it! I've raised 22 chicks this summer and all of those girls and boys have survived. Got 12 meat birds yesterday, and this has been our first fatality. I haven't told my ds who loves chickens yet. He just left for his first football game, and I didn't want him knowing that poor little Dave is in chickie heaven before he plays. [​IMG] We'll have a funeral a little later today. Thank you for your advice! The poor little guy was just too weak to make it.

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by