new chick w/leg prob. Splayed leg or slipped Achilles ten Don't?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtchickengal, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mtchickengal

mtchickengal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2014
    Great Falls, MT
    Early this morning, my last chick hatched. It has been kind of crawling around on it's "knees" and balancing on it's wings like hands. It's feet are pointing forwards & sometimes they are even over it's wing tips. I don't really know what to do with it. At 1st, we thought it was splayed leg. I did put the brace on it, but I don't think that is it. What do people think? I don't really even know how to "cull" it. I don't know if I can.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Last year I had one that didn't walk for 4 days then it just got up and was fine, they do not need to eat or drink anything for the first 3-5 days, so I would watch it and see how it goes. If you need to cull, it is fairly easy to do a small homemade "gas chamber" that will do the trick very humanely. Let me know if you need to and I'll try to find the link for you, I did it last year with one that hatched with an open skull. I didn't know if I could do it either, but that particular birth defect left me no option, it wasn't nearly as difficult as I'd imagined.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Freshly hatched chicks can take a while to get their feet under them. :)

A picture would help determine if braces are necessary.

How is the little chick doing now, 10 hours later?

MrsB

4. mtchickengal

Sep 18, 2014
    Great Falls, MT
    Thanks, both of you! It was the same this morning when I left for work. I have been giving her sips of water. I will take a pic this eve so you can see. She/he is the cutest one of all of them! The others are all running around. Grandma is going to go by today & give her a few sips, too.
    I really hope she snaps out of it! She was the slowest of all of them to stretch out after hatching.

5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sometimes, the runt needs a little more time and TLC than the rest.

Just make sure the chick gets enough food and water and the others aren't bullying it away. :)

Again, a picture, if you can, will help immensely with identifying any potential issues with the legs/feet.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

6. mtchickengal

Sep 18, 2014
    Great Falls, MT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pics of this chick & some of it's hatch mates. It was the last to hatch yesterday early morning. It's legs pretty much stay in the same position without the braces, too. We were just trying this.

7. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    It looks perky and alert, and is trying to stand up so those are good signs. Like everyone said give her/him a day or 2 and see what happens and of course, keep us posted!

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    X2!

I'd even go so far as to leave the braces on until it gets the strength to stand for a period of time. :) Just make sure the chick can get to food and water okay!

Have you seen it try and take steps at all, or does it just fall over for now?

MrsB

9. mtchickengal

Sep 18, 2014
    Great Falls, MT
    It cannot stand up at all. It kind of wants to. Thought we'd take the brace off tonight just to see & then we can put it back on. It's legs don't really go out to the side. Just stay basically folded forward. I have been holding it standing a little.....kind of like I read "physical therapy"

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Start some vitamins in it's water that contains riboflavin or B2. It could be a riboflavin deficiency. I would also make it a chick chair to get it up on it's feet, and put some food and water within reach to peck. You can Google chick chair for some examples, and they can be made out of cups, foam, and all sorts of things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by