1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick w/ shell attached to wing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewHawaiiChick, Jul 16, 2011.

1. NewHawaiiChick

NewHawaiiChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Hawaii
    Hello! Can anyone tell me what I should do with a brand new chick (hatched this morning) that has a piece of the membrane or shell? stuck to its wing? I thought it would fall off on its own, but now it seems cemented on. I took it out of the incubator and put it in the broody box. Seems fine otherwise...:)

2. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I've never hatched any eggs before but I read some where that you should just let it fall off on its own.

Good luck![​IMG]

3. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Maybe someone else can give you better advice, but I would use a warm, damp - not sopping wet - cloth. Hold the chick and gently try to rub the membrane/shell off. Dry the chick as best you can and keep him warm. I have an Eco-glow that chicks get under to stay warm.

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI, Oh poor baby.had this happen last hatch and the poor thing was stuck on his
    back to the shell couldn't get up.
    I put them right under the water from the faucet.same temp as my handthe shell will fall right off.
    The first time I did this I was scared I would upset the chick.instead it just kind of relaxed in my hand
    as if it were pleasureable.......then I used the blow drier very carefully and fluffed it up.
    Good Luck..you won't hurt it cleaning it..................

5. NewHawaiiChick

Jul 16, 2011
    Hawaii
    Okay, I'm going to try the water faucet. I think it's so glued on the wash cloth might not do anything!

6. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I had a similar problem with one of mine when it hatched....a whole lot of shell and membrane dried and stuck to it. I ran warm water in the sink and held it under it (careful to keep the water away from its beak). After about 3 washed (over 2 days) I got it all off. She's smaller than her hatch-mates, but healthy and happy today at 4 weeks old [​IMG]

7. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    As mentioned before, you can try warm water. I would also suggest to remove the chick from the others, because they may pick at it, and cause harm.

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    And by the way..................[​IMG]

9. NewHawaiiChick

Jul 16, 2011
    Hawaii
    Success! The membrane came off after about 1 minute under the water faucet. I fluffed him with the hair dryer and put him back in the box under the lamp. I can tell you I think I am officially "not his friend" anymore as he was not too happy with me! But his little wing is free now and he can move it! Thanks!

10. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:Haha, he will get over it. Just give him treats when he gets older. They are all a little fiesty at first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by