New chick w/ shell attached to wing

NewHawaiiChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hawaii
Hello! Can anyone tell me what I should do with a brand new chick (hatched this morning) that has a piece of the membrane or shell? stuck to its wing? I thought it would fall off on its own, but now it seems cemented on. I took it out of the incubator and put it in the broody box. Seems fine otherwise...:)

I've never hatched any eggs before but I read some where that you should just let it fall off on its own.

Good luck!
wink.png

Maybe someone else can give you better advice, but I would use a warm, damp - not sopping wet - cloth. Hold the chick and gently try to rub the membrane/shell off. Dry the chick as best you can and keep him warm. I have an Eco-glow that chicks get under to stay warm.

HI, Oh poor baby.had this happen last hatch and the poor thing was stuck on his
back to the shell couldn't get up.
I put them right under the water from the faucet.same temp as my handthe shell will fall right off.
The first time I did this I was scared I would upset the chick.instead it just kind of relaxed in my hand
as if it were pleasureable.......then I used the blow drier very carefully and fluffed it up.
Good Luck..you won't hurt it cleaning it..................

I had a similar problem with one of mine when it hatched....a whole lot of shell and membrane dried and stuck to it. I ran warm water in the sink and held it under it (careful to keep the water away from its beak). After about 3 washed (over 2 days) I got it all off. She's smaller than her hatch-mates, but healthy and happy today at 4 weeks old
smile.png

Success! The membrane came off after about 1 minute under the water faucet. I fluffed him with the hair dryer and put him back in the box under the lamp. I can tell you I think I am officially "not his friend" anymore as he was not too happy with me! But his little wing is free now and he can move it! Thanks!

Quote:
Haha, he will get over it. Just give him treats when he gets older. They are all a little fiesty at first.

Back
Top Bottom