new Chick will not walk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BillyBeBad, May 22, 2008.

1. BillyBeBad

BillyBeBad New Egg

May 22, 2008
    I had my last chick hatch yesterday, but she don't seem to be able to walk nor stand up, looks like she's haven trouble with one side of her, when I hold her she peeps I call it crying, anyway, she'll craw, when I do hold her I put my finger under her feet, but only one foot will grip my finger, the other one she seems to tuck under her like it's hurting, any one know what I can do, I have 9 chicks that hatched, and this is my first time hatching them, oh and I hatched them out of an incubator, which is also my very first time, and it was the most amazing thing to see.

Thanks

BBB

Added: I seen post about splaying legs, but hers does not lay out at the sides, both are under her.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    bump

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    my last one is like that too i think i'm gonna try boots, mine is trying to walk on it's hocks and the toes lay in

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
  5. BillyBeBad

BillyBeBad New Egg

May 22, 2008
    Yeah, I'll get a picture of her today, it looks like when she laying the right side of her wing is laying outward along with her leg.

I'll get a picture of her and post it, been wanting to take pictures of them all anyway.

thx

BBB

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had a turkey poult do that after it hatched. It would never get it's legs under it. I wrapped it's legs but it would never sit up. It would only lay on it's side. So after a week I went ahead and culled it. I didnt want to but nothing I tried worked. I hope yours gets better and makes it.

7. BillyBeBad

BillyBeBad New Egg

May 22, 2008
    Well, I did everything I could, I even feed and watered it by hand, but sadly to say, she died about 20 minutes ago [​IMG]
    I kept saying I wish she hatched dead, but I did have her around for a short while

but I do have the other 8 and they're going strong as ever, darn things don't stop eating. [​IMG]

Thanks for the replies.

BBB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by