New Chick With Bad Legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lholton, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lholton

lholton New Egg

Mar 23, 2009
    I have been disappointed with this batch of chicks, although I do have 11 healthy one so far. I've lost one that suffocated in his shell and another with a deformed neck. This one's legs are making his feet stay by his head. I'm not sure what to do for him, since it's not really a splayed leg problem. Any suggestions?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    It's hard to tell, but if that is a very newly hatched chick, maybe it just needs a little time to straighten out. I know they're supposed to be "ready to go" pretty much out of the egg, but I just posted about a chick I had that walked in circles for a couple weeks and is now one of my best layers (see"Crooked neck-vitamins?post). Hopefully it's that easy. Maybe someone with more chick leg info can help. Good luck.

3. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Yea I would just give him some time and maybe he will straighten out

4. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Good luck to the little one. I have a day old in a similar shape and am very worried about him.

5. lholton

lholton New Egg

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks for the encouragement. We'll just see how it goes. It was still alive this morning and hoping it will be able to drink and eat while I'm at work.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    It wouldn't get better. Dispose of it. Live can be curel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by