New chick with cracked beak, bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 15shenyl, Mar 15, 2013.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I got 4 more chicks today and one has a crack on the beak right below his nose. It looks like a chip came out of it. I disinfected the wound and put vaseline on the beak. So far the the other chicks haven't picked on it sense I did this but I don't know if I should keep doing this or if this is harmful for the chick, is there anything else I should do without spending a bunch of money?

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Is it a chunk or a crack? I have a brand new blue d'Uccle chick missing a good sized, deep chunk right where her flesh meets her upper beak. She had this when I got her, and it hurts, but she is doing fine on her own. Some anti-picking stuff will help if you think the others may pick at it, but otherwise if she is eating and drinking, she should be fine.

3. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I can't really tell. It looks like a little chunck taken out of the beak. It had a scab over it today but one if the chicks picked off the scab. I will see if I can find some non pick stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by