New chick with curved legs and feet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoVA Chicks, Dec 20, 2009.

1. NoVA Chicks

NoVA Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    We hatched our first chick this morning. He zipped his egg pretty quickly but his bottom half was stuck in the egg for hours. Finally he started to get very tired and just laid his head down, so I took him out of the incubator--his top half was dry at least. I put him in the brooder and he's drying out but still isn't standing. His legs seem very strange. It's almost like they're on backwards, set more towards his back than his front, and curled behind him. He's been out for a couple of hours and still can't stand. Will he grow out of this? If not, can I intervene? I've seen pictures of various toe splints, will that help him? (I'll try to post a picture shortly.)

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I had a few chicks that had spraddle leg and used the band-aid splints and it worked great. I would think it wouldn't hurt to try.

3. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  5. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    Well, I tried to straighten his toes and attach them to a small piece of cardboard and they were very hard to move and he screeched like he was in pain. [​IMG] His legs are a little bit better today but still look like they're at the wrong angle. Two more chicks have hatched and not only are their legs at a different angle, but their legs and toes are much larger than the first chick's, too. He also has pasty butt. [​IMG]

I'm trying to build my nerve up to try to tape his toes again tonight but I'm not feeling very hopeful.

6. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    do the brave and humane thing, Cull it. It is now or later after a miserable few days or weeks.

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Your chick doesn't look good, sorry. I don't see how you would be able to pull it's lege foreward so it can stand. If it can't walk around to eat or drink, it will starve in a couple of days. Animals need to move around, also, for blood circulation. The muscle movements will help the heart. I would reccomend culling it. I'm sorry; I know it's hard to do. I am agonizing right now over a week-old with a swollen face and disgusting things coming out of it's eye. [​IMG]

8. NoVA Chicks

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I cleaned his little vent again and a lot of blood came out. I don't think he's going to last much longer. [​IMG] I know it would be kinder to cull him than let him fade away but I'm here by myself with my toddler. I'm a die hard feminist but there are something things I'd be happy to let a man do for me . . .

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry.

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by