New chick with pasty butt/swollen vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jettgirl24, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Hi Guys,

This afternoon I picked up a little Salmon Faverolle from the feed store to keep my lone hatchling company as I'm losing hope that my other eggs are going to hatch. She's very cute and sweet but unfortunately she seems to have a case of pasty butt and her vent is ouchy and swollen. I soaked it with a warm, damp paper towel and got it cleaned up. I put some neosporin on (w/o pain relief of course!) and a little KY to hopefully help clear things up. I also added some infant vitamins to their water. Anything I'm missing to help this little baby out? I feel really bad for her, I can tell it's very ouchy and uncomfortable. I really want to get this cleared up as soon as possible so she can be a happy little chicky again [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some organic apple cider vinegar in the water is supposed to help with this, maybe a tablespoon or two to a gallon, and a touch of yogurt mixed with the feed makes sense to me, too. Vaseline or A&D will work fine if you run short of Neosporin. Hopefully it will straighten out in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by