New chick with slipped tendon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lttdoming, Jan 24, 2014.

1. lttdoming

lttdoming Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    I have a chick that is an hour old.
    He looks like he has a slipped tendon.

Do i remove him from the bator and try to get it in place?
    Or do I keep him in while the other eggs are hatching?

He can't stand on the foot at all.
    Other than that he seems full of life and is doing his best to move all around the incubator.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I understand it's importand to treat this as soon as possible, to limit swelling and improve the chance of success. However, I also inderstand that successful treatment rate isn't very high. It's your call. Good luck.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  4. lttdoming

May 30, 2013
    So I should open the incubator? That is my concern.
    Two have hatched: I still have 11 more to go.

I'm feeling conflicted.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not open it for 1 chick--you may sacrifice the rest by letting your humidity drop. Especially since it may not help, and the chick may improve once it is out of the incubator.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Lack of a vitamin called Choline (B group vitamin) is often the problem with one leg affected. Known as Perosis, it can be avoided with breeding parents being fed and supplemented adequately. Choline helps the development of cartilage so tendons are stable. This is why high quality, properly formulated feeds are so important for those first six weeks before other "treats" are given. I realize your chicks are all just hatching and believe the deficiency is a result of the breeding pair which produced the eggs. Supplement like Eggcessive stated. Poultry Nutri-Drench is a very helpful supplement and only one small drop orally is needed for a chick. It absorbs quickly in the gut. Most feed stores and Tractor Supply places carry it. here's what it looks like: http://www.jefferspet.com/poultry-nutri-drench/camid/liv/cp/16796/ I hope you can remedy the problem. Good luck.

This is why I would never buy hatching eggs from anyone. I have no control over the health of birds which produced the egg.

7. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Splay leg can be caused by high incubation temps, I would quickly remove the chick and get some hobbles on it.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That's possible too. Porosis is usually one leg, where splayed legs are always two.

9. lttdoming

May 30, 2013
    I did remove him. It is only one leg and the joint is swollen with a small open sore. From all my online research it doesn't look good. I saw a video where they manipulate the leg straight and bandage it. But I think this cutie is in trouble. It's too bad because he is full of life. I'm at a loss of what to do if anything. This egg was picked up at a local farm as a barnyard mix, not a hatchery. I'm thinking just some bad luck. :(

10. Brooke0430

Brooke0430 New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    how did your chick do? i had a chick do the same thing except it was both of his legs. prayed and researched and doctored him with what i had at home and he is now 3 days old and doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by