New Chick won't drink?

Chickie13

Chirping
8 Years
May 26, 2013
I just picked up three baby chicks from the post office today. I set out fresh water in a chick waterer for them, and dipped each of their beaks into it. Two of the chicks began drinking immediately, but the third, a buff orpington, wouldn't. When I dipped her beak in, I saw her swallow the water afterwards but she never went for more. I tried dipping her a second time with the same result. What should I do? Also, how long should I wait before giving them food? Please answer ASAP I don't want my chickie to die of thirst!

hugs.gif
No real advice from me but keep dipping it's beak. And I'm not 100% sure but you should be able to give them food, just lay it out on the ground at first instead of using a feeder

Best of luck!

Give them chick crumbs straight away, they will feed as and when they are ready.
I hate the mess chicks make of bowl dishes waterers etc.. so mine are always introduced to a nipple within a couple of days they cost pennies to set up.
Once one starts to use it they all teach each other.

AKA "Parrot Fashion"

A tip if your are using electric hens for heat use some old vinyl wall paper on the top like in the pic below
so much easier to throw the paper out every few days than clean the plastic cover, especially the type with embossed covers!

Back
Top Bottom