New chick won't eat and very lethargic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RBOutdoors, Mar 12, 2012.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    What should I do???!!!!

It is a Cochin. Barely opens eyes won't eat and barely drinks. The other 30 are doing great.

Medicated feed
    Clean water
    Right temp

Help!!

Can I boil egg to feed her? What can I do!!!

2. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    Currently separated her but when I put her down she chirps like crazy. Pick her up and is quiet as a mouse.

3. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    Called McMurray and they said try honey or Karo on a q-tip for a quick burst of energy. She ate a bit but not a lot.

5. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    is there blood in poop it may be coccidiosis... (Spelling might be wrong sorry) Rather common but will die if not treated... your local TSC should have antibodies...

6. lucylover

lucylover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Kansas
    I know this was back in 2009 when it was originally posted, but to any future chick raisers reading this that have a similar problem AND your chick looks like this one, I'm sorry to say that your little one will not survive. I had this problem not too long ago when raising my little ones. She did end up dying within two days. Symptoms: doesn't eat nearly as much as the others, can't really stand up straight, sits down a lot, cannot walk correctly, doesn't drink near as much as the other chicks, and just doesn't look right and VERY LETHARGIC! None of these are good sings. Your first reaction will be to provide immediate attention and care to the the little guy. DONT! Put some gatorade in a little cup that it can drink if it wants to and put some finely shredded cheese in the food. Do not separate her from the others. If it has pasty butt, leave it alone and DO NOT clean the butt, just let it be. These tips will give your little chick the best chance to survive. All in all, leave it alone from the others and don't pay it any special attention. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

7. lucylover

Apr 22, 2012
    Kansas
    ***Looks like the one in the big picture above...

8. lucylover

Apr 22, 2012
    Kansas
    ***Sorry again, not 2009, March...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by