New chick

Maryeb

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Puerto Rico
My son caught a small chick that was in our yard. I read about introducing them to older chickens. My husband built a sm pen that we put inside the run. Baby chick has been in there for about 1 week. We took it out but the rooster pecked at it so we put it back into pen. I move the pen around so it has fresh area to scratch. What else can I do to help w integrating?

I would let the chick work this out. The chick is in a safety zone that is what I call the place your set up. What you need to do now, is lift up the bottom edge, so that the chick can get out, and get back in, escaping the big birds, who cannot get in there.

This lets the chick explore and retreat, and really it will be over in just a few days. The safety zone just act rather like a broody hen. She gives the chicks a safe place. The flock adjust, and all practice chicken society.

Mrs K

My son caught a small chick that was in our yard. I read about introducing them to older chickens. My husband built a sm pen that we put inside the run. Baby chick has been in there for about 1 week. We took it out but the rooster pecked at it so we put it back into pen. I move the pen around so it has fresh area to scratch. What else can I do to help w integrating?
How old is the chick? If you are uncertain, post a picture. I wouldnt add it to the flock without a long quarantine period. Pecking is normal, even with proper introduction.

How old is the chick? If you are uncertain, post a picture. I wouldnt add it to the flock without a long quarantine period. Pecking is normal, even with proper introduction.
20210809_171406.jpg
20210809_171436.jpg
I would let the chick work this out. The chick is in a safety zone that is what I call the place your set up. What you need to do now, is lift up the bottom edge, so that the chick can get out, and get back in, escaping the big birds, who cannot get in there.

This lets the chick explore and retreat, and really it will be over in just a few days. The safety zone just act rather like a broody hen. She gives the chicks a safe place. The flock adjust, and all practice chicken society.

Mrs K
From the picture can you tell how old, what kind and if hen or roo?

Back
Top Bottom