New Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aabbott, Jun 30, 2011.

1. aabbott

aabbott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I have a new chick that hatched out Sunday- so it is 4 days old- and she doesnt seem to be growing like the others. I have tipped her beak into the water, tried feeding her grool and plain yogurt, but I have yet to see her eat on her own like the others do. She is so much smaller than the rest. She was mauled when she was born, and I had a 'chicken shoe' on her to straighten her toes- I also massaged her leg in case it was a tendon that was not right- but I am very concerned - she was not the last one born- but she sure looks like she was,,,, any suggestions?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry to hear she isn't doing well. Some chicks just fail to thrive, it's sad, but it happens.

If you can, try to get ahold of some vitamins. I believe many prefer Poly Vi Sol (without iron). Just dribble a drop or two down her beak at least once a day, and you may start to see a difference.

Is she behaving differently? Lethargic? Huddled in a corner, puffed up? Is she being bullied by the others at all?

Good luck with her, keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. aabbott

aabbott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:She wasnt behaving differently at first, but she is now- yes huddling in the corner, peeping most of the time, not being bullied from what i can see, sleeps most of the time- although, when I dip her beak in the vitamin water, she really resists... and really squawks! Not puffed up- just doesnt act like the others.... much smaller than the rest- not sure she is bathrooming either..... her behavior is much different - thanks for responding- I can try the baby vitamins as well- thanks for the idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by