new chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kristip, Nov 18, 2011.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Ok so my friend gave me some wonderful eggs for a broody to hatch.. not the best time of year but what can you do! this is result of hatch 1

It came from full size regular brown egg... I know she has Americauna, blue marans, jaerhons, silkies, polish, and perhaps mutts... need to find out what she has... anyway. It has 4 toes and black beak, legs are dark on one side and lighter on other.. can this change as they get bigger?

[​IMG]

2. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    just noticed we have feathers on those legs so maybe cochin or silkie mix? Probably more cochin as there is no visable crest on top.

3. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Cute chick! Go Bears!! [​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm guessing its part silkie as it has feathers on its legs and since its probley mixed it may or may not have the creast like a silkie.

since idk all the brown egg layers there are i will guess a marans lol sorry this part isnt any help

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    need better pictures! Can we have a profile of the chick standing? and a close up of the comb?

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Do her Blue Marans have feathered legs? If so, that is most likely what it is.

7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Quote:yes marans have feathered legs... x2

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC

Not all varieties do. But that chick looks blue or splash to me, so I'm guessing 2 blue parents. does she have blue or black silkies? If so I'm guessing that crossed with maybe a blue marans. Complete guess, though. Probably will be able to tell better when its older. [​IMG]

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise

Not all varieties do. But that chick looks blue or splash to me, so I'm guessing 2 blue parents. does she have blue or black silkies? If so I'm guessing that crossed with maybe a blue marans. Complete guess, though. Probably will be able to tell better when its older. [​IMG]

x2

Marans can have feathering on their legs, so that's the most likely suspect. However, those legs are suspiciously dark, even for a new chick. I'd put my money on a marans cross. Maybe with EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by