New chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dreamer5577, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I am an extreme newbie when it comes to raising baby chicks. All of my chicks I got when they were at least 3 weeks old. So anyway, I hatched a little baby. He came out of the shell yesterday around 8PM. The moment he hatched he had his eyes "open" looked like they were droopy. Which I figured was typical. I mean..he was a newborn! He dried and I placed him in a brooder. And I've noticed that he doesn't open his eyes anymore! It'll move around (not very well) but won't open its eyes! This little guy has me so worried!

When should chicks be all up and about scrambling everywhere?! Mine...seems healthy. He attempted walking and being crazy yesterday after hatching and detached from his shell last night. He peeps and squirms around and everything, but should he be running around by now?! I just see everyone else's pictures and videos of day old chicks and they're already running around.

Tell me all I need to know!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    It should be more active by now. Did you dip its beek in food and water. Is it eating? What is the temp. in the brooder? Is it warm enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by