New chicken addict in NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nursebecky99, Jan 9, 2013.

1. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    Good morning everyone,
    I am a chicken and egg raising hopeful! I have had the desire for some time, and will be making it a reality this spring after we move to a new home in the country (currently in the middle of town and renting with an un-chicken-friendly landlord). I have my oldest child on a mission to build the coop for his senior project, then I plan to find some sweet pullets to start my flock. I would love some North Carolina advice on where to find the best "girls".

Have a great night/day! (LOL yes, I am posting at 2am...am a Certfied Nurse Midwife and Registered Nurse, working nights at the moment!)

2. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG]To BYC!

Not sure why I am still awake, I'm in the same time zone! So happy to have you join us, and you must check in often and let us know whe you get that coop built. I too fullfilled a dream of moving to some property, and got out of the rat race of the suburbs! I just got my first eggs on New Years Eve!

So happy to have you!
    Post pictures!

MB

Here is a link to some fellow peeps from North Carolina!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina#post_1007442

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us

4. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    Yay to the first eggs! I am so excited to be getting my chicks and all the fun that goes with it, and my sig other and my son both just laugh at me, darn men!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mursebecky99, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Best of luck to you and your new home and your chickens!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    [​IMG] I'm in Wilkes County, NC. Welcome to the site. You will find everything you need to know about raising chickens here. Be sure to check out the learning center. It's full of vital information. If you have a local feed store, they often have chicks each spring which are usually from hatcheries. AVOID small animal auctions, flea markets, yard sales etc. Many folks have lost their entire flocks due to bringing in sick animals. You're gonna have to ask around to find a reliable source. You can tell a lot about the health of others' chickens based on the environment in which they are kept. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Yay!!! Welcome to BYC. :)

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by