New chicken aggression

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by grcrockett, Oct 30, 2016.

1. grcrockett

grcrockett Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2016
    Today we got four more chickens from a friend, one americaun, one red sex link, one RIR, and black one that i dont know the breed of (yet). I already have 24 chickens, 15 red sex links and 9 orpingtons. The problem is with the four i just got. The others pick at the americauna so bad that they have pulled out most of her tail and back feathers and the black one has an injured comb from her (obviously failed) attemlpt to fight. I was told she liked to fight but wasn't good at it. I have them in a coop inside my chicken yard for them all to acclimate slowly but is there anything i can do to keep them off of the americauna and the black one? I'm hoping a bigger chicken yard and coop will help once they've moved but should i seperate the four new ones for now? I have a large dog kennel i can use for 1-2 chickens. Any other ideas or just leave them together as they've always been?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. grcrockett

grcrockett Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2016
    These four have always been together. I'm thinking after my husband explained the coop they were in if they were bored. It was apparently small and they were fed pellets which I've read can lead to boredom. Have you experienced this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by