New chicken and old chicken are fighting!

SeattleAeris

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
I have been raising a single Plymouth rock hen in my backyard for awhile. She is rather portly and very neurotic. She seemed very lonely. She would cling to me and follow me everywhere as well as cry when she had to go into her coop at night. So the other day, i got from my friends a little Silkie Bantam. She is cute and very loving.
Here is where the problems start. I introduced them about 10 minutes ago. My first chicken, Falcor, was up on a ledge and was ignoring the new chicken. But when they were on the ground together, she pecked the new chicken, Cotton, in the eye. Then she did it again! Now Falcor is in a kennel while I come and ask what to do. If it changes anything, Falcor has pecked MY eye before, rather lightly.
So, is this eye-attacking normal? Should I take one away? Will it ever stop? What do I do?

I do know that the big hen is telling the younger one I was here first and I am the boss.... as far as the eye goes I don't know why they do that. But I have never seen a chicken peck out the eye of another unless they were dead then the eyes go first. The pecking order is always the first thing chickens do.

As far as crying goes. I believe that to be not crying but singing as they are happy. Generally when my birds aren't happy they just stand there and mill about not making any sounds. They growl when there's enemies about and general clucking is things are ok... 'I am just minding my own business' talk.

Just my thoughts on it.

Arklady

Be very careful with the silkie, they have different type of skulls that have holes in them, and one hard peck on the head can kill them. I dont mean to worry you but be careful with her.

Of course your first bird will be jealous. You might want to read about quarantining new birds before you introduce them as well.

i know i am not about to bring up chicken behavior, but the two peacocks we have, when we first got them one pecked the other in the eye. i had to seperate them for awhile. then put them back together, then they did it again within a few minutes. i seperated them again for a few weeks or more. then put them back together. they are fine now.
i talked to someone who raises them and said they had never seen a peacock do that.
the previous post they mention they had never seen a chicken do that.

i do know that they say adding vitamins and electrolytes for a few days helps with stress and that is what we did for our peacocks and it seemed to help there behavior and plus there feathers perked up and colors were deeper looking.

so maybe if you seperate them for awhile and give them some vitamin and electrolytes for the changes they are going through for a few days. then put them together again and see how they act, if she goes for the eye take her out and seperate her again for awhile. then try again. maybe it will work for you like it did for me, best of luck. let us know who it goes
smile.png

Quote:
Agh I just typed a whole response then accidentally deleted it. So you believe that Falcor's attacks may have been normal? I suppose it may have been the eye-vicinity that she pecked. I couldnt tell because of Cotton's big tuft. Other than the attacks, the new banty seems to love her new home. She stood in the middle of her 4,000 sq. ft. new yard and crowed endlessly. But in a happy way. I brought her to the coop and now she is admiring her automatic feeder and waterer and her single, solitary nest (falcor hates boxes). She came from a farm with 32 chickens and an adequate but small run to accomodate them. She will probably have some trouble adjusting. Especially because shes gone from a small town called Roy to the great Seattle. So do you believe that I can trust Falcor and Cotton together? Should I do anything to make sure?

Quote:
Alright, that sounds good. But how exactly should I quarantine my new bantie? And what should I add to their diet as far as vitamins and electrolytes? Sorry, I am very new to the world of chickens. Ohh, and this is not the last new Silkie my Falcor will have to put up with. I intend to get more, they are loving and beautiful chickens, my favorite breed. And there is probably going to be a barred rock coming in eventually as well.

vital is the vitamin and electrolytes that i used. i got it at my feed store where i buy my chicken feed. but only use it for a few days and the directions are on there, you won't need much at all for just two. it cost me around $2.00 for this too, very cheap
smile.png

i had a rabbit cages to put my peacocks in to seperate them. and i also have a extra kennel that is 9x9, we bought for our dogs when we go out of town over night. so the dog kennel has come in handy for a hurt barred rock i had. i seperated her in there till she healed up.

i don't know what kind of set up you have but that is what we have "as extra space for our animals".

i hope these ideas help you
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you very much! Sadly, because I live in one of America's biggest metropolitan areas, my feed store is very far away. It is in Issaquah if you know this area. I'll go check my local Petco and maybe Tilth. If the vitamins and electrolytes are used for other animals then they will surely have them. I have a rabbit cage as well but it is sort of messy as my rabbit died a few years back and my attempts to get a new one ended up with a four-day lifespan bunny, rather tramatic. I suppose I am just going to walk around with my new chicken, guarding it, and allow Falcor out of her cage. I'll do this every day for awhile, otherwise quarantining Cotton. Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom