1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicken and Turkey Owner from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JewelBirds, Apr 13, 2017.

1. JewelBirds

JewelBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2017
    Hi, we recently added Royal Palm turkeys to our hobby farm a year ago. Our turkey hens just began laying their eggs two weeks ago (fertilized). This is my first time incubating eggs. As of today, they have 17 eggs total between the two of them (they're not laying every day like I read they would, but mostly every other day. I assume this is because they are young and their first time). We just got ISA-brown and white Leghorn chicks, seven each (all pullets) a week ago. The ISA-Brown chicks are starting to get their feathers, and the Leghorns are a bit younger than them but they all get along fine. The ISA's don't seem to be as friendly as the Leghorns, but perhaps that's because of age difference. We hope to have the turkey poults from the eggs and sell them, and then just regular eating eggs from the chickens, for ourselves and other peoole. It's really amazing to see how fast birds grow, and they just add such a personality to our little farm.

Our tom, Buddy, will alert us to anything strange going on outside. He especially doesn't like strange people or crows. He'll keep on "barking" until he can't see or hear the "threat" anymore.

1 person likes this.
  2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    [​IMG]

Hello there and congrats on your new additions. Good luck with your hatch!

3. JewelBirds

Apr 13, 2017
    Thank you! I hope the first one goes okay. I'm doing as much research as I can, though there isn't as much sources on turkey hatches as I'd like.

4. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    I'll tag a member that hatches turkey and maybe she'll have time to stop in. If you have any specific questions, go ahead and list them. [​IMG]

@WalnutHill ---> many people have their preferences set so they get email when they're tagged. That way they're alerted to a post that they're tagged in.

5. JewelBirds

Apr 13, 2017
    All right thank you!

I've just been trying to find some good pictures at how big the air cells should be at certain days. I just candled a 14 day egg and not sure if it's the right size. Otherwise I believe l have a good understanding of temperature, humidity, how it relates to the air cell, lockdown, etc.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I know nothing about turkeys and have never incubated eggs but, I think folks on the "turkey thread," could fill in gaps in your information. Just put that in the search box and it
    will pop up.. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under JewelBirds [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

[Edited because I popped in the wrong name on my welcome ... so sorry about that!]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  8. JewelBirds

Apr 13, 2017
    Thank you, I will try that.

Yes I'm sure it will be an informative, and fun place as I raise my chickens.

Thank you all for the welcomes and advice.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jewelbirds, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to your chickens and turkeys! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by