New Chicken Caretaker

NewChic13

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 7, 2011
S. Lake Tahoe
Hi,

I just got my first small flock about 1 week ago. I now am the proud mommy of two 4 month old sexlinks (one red, one black), and four 1 week old chicks (1 Brahma, 1 Americana, 1 old English, and 1 production red). I didn't realize it would take so long for the babies to join the big girls, but that's ok, I have the space to accommodate. I'm in the process of converting an unused shed into the new coop. So any heads up or important points that may help in doing so would be greatly appreciated.

I have found myself very obsessed about this new chicken hobby! My boyfriend even told all his friends that all I ever talk about is chickens (kind of embarrassing)! I thought maybe this forum will help me get out my chicken squawking (couldn't resist,sorry) and save him from having to hear it.

I have so many questions and have been reading so much, both online and a book I bought (Chickens for Dummies). I hope to find many answers on here! And I thank you all in advance for any advice I find or receive!!!

-NewChic

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sure you'll find lots of answers here
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I too have Chickens for Dummies. Love that book. I use BYC a lot too. As far as your shed goes, I would suggest good sturdy roosts, 15"x15" nesting boxes, ventilation, ability to have heat lamp or lights in winter (didn't notice where you were from before I replied), hang your food and water if possible. My girls would always find a way to poo in their food and water when it was sitting on the ground. And most of all HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Welcome from Arizona! Your boyfriend is just going to have to get used to chicken conversations. Chatting with us just makes it worse.
wink.png

Welcome to chicken addiction from NW Kentucky. Tell your boyfriend there are worse things to be addicted to...and chickens are just so darned much fun!

deb g
ky

Back
Top Bottom