1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken chick in CA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by regfo3, Aug 19, 2014.

1. regfo3

regfo3 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    California
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of chickens and currently have 3 chicks that are about 5-6 weeks old. My first experience with chicks started out a bit rocky--we lost two of three in the first week, which I wasn't prepared for, so it's made me really nervous about the three we have now. I have one buff Orpington, and I thought the other two were barred rocks, but now I'm not so sure. They used to look so similar I could hardly tell them apart, but as they've gotten bigger, they look very different, and not at all like the photos of barred rock pullets I've seen! Maybe someone can help me identify them.

In general I have TONS of questions about raising baby chicks. I have 3 kids, a 4 year old boy and 2 year old twin girls, and in a lot of ways I'm finding the chicks harder to care for than they were as babies! It's much less instinctual, I guess.

Looking forward to learning more about raising chickens from everyone on the forum!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the loss of your first chicks, glad the new ones are doing well. A great place to start for chicken info is the BYC Learning Center, lots of nice articles on all aspects of poultry keeping https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and here is a nice article on keeping chicks for the first few months https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens
    You might want to post pictures of your BR? pullets in the What Breed/Gender forum for help with figuring out what they are www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

3. regfo3

regfo3 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    California
    Thank you so much for the info! I'll check out those links and ask in the forum for help identifying the breed :)

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry for your losses!

Kelsie has given you great links. The learning center is defiantly a place to check out.

Glad you joined and enjoy your peepers!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Kelsie has you on a good path to lots of learning. Definitely stop by the article on raising your chicks for the first 60 days. Lots of good info there. Sorry you lost a few chicks originally. Hopefully this group stays happy and healthy. :)

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on posting pics of your Barred Rocks on our What Breed or Gender Section is This? If you want to post pics on here, we can take a look at them as well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. regfo3

regfo3 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    California
    Thank you all so much! One thing I've learned from the short time I've been raising chickens is that everyone is so helpful and you've all been so welcoming. I love it!

I'm mobile about 99% of the time and did try to upload some photos in the Breed/Gender forum, but it wasn't working. Do I have to be on the computer to do that?

Thank you all again for the help and warm welcome!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sure someone will give you the mobile link. I don't have a cell phone but, I've heard others having a problem when not using a computer.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by