New Chicken Coop and Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlickin8, Oct 16, 2016.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    We are so excited to have our new bigger coop and run. We have had chickens for 8 years and the old coop was a great first coop but I was ready for a new garden coop/run.

We had coverted our garden shed into the first coop and now we are remodeling it and actually going to use it for a garden shed for our lawn equipment and supplies, etc.

I had someone else build the new coop/run and then we added some things and finishing touches. I love it and so do my 10 week old girls that are growing up fast.

It is 14 ft long x 5ft wide and 6ft tall with 5 nestboxes.
    The coop is plywood and 2x4s with a 3/4 inch plywood floor with linoleum over it. It has great ventilation and two windows.

The coop sits on concrete block toppers several inches thick. Nothing can dig under. The base is gravel for the blocks to sit on and we leveled them.

The run is 2x4 frame with hardware cloth and 1x4 trim all around. I filled the run with all natural top soil as a base and has buried wire all around for predators and heavy rocks around the perimeter on top of the wire for further protection and to anchor the wire.

The roof is metal and sealed so no leaking.

We painted everything with good exterior paint.

Enjoy the tour......ask questions if you have any. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Beautiful!!!!

3. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Thank you! I love it and it's easy to clean too. I have hanging food and water which is awesome and stays dirt free.

4. canehdianchick

canehdianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Kitimat, British Columbia
    So cute -- and I love the name!! Congrats on the upgrade!

5. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    Very well done. Compact yet with all of the requisite amenities. Well thought out. Nicely coopscaped. Mine in progress, will be similar, but 6x18 and open run under elevated hen house. Am curious if there is anything you'd change in retrospect ?

6. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Nice! And I love the sign :)

Is there a large door on the end or far side that opens for cleaning?

7. Chickenface1975

Chickenface1975 New Egg

Jun 10, 2015
    this is great! excellent work

8. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop

Thanks. Nothing I would change so far. I will let you know as time goes on. The girls have been in their new home for almost two weeks.

9. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop

Hi erinlee, yes there is a large door on the back side of the coop. It makes it very easy to clean inside. After roosting at night, I go in every morning and clean up under the roosting bars. So easy and then I add some fresh pine shavings and done :D Thanks

10. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Here's a pic of the door on the backside of the hen house. It makes it easy to clean the inside.

[​IMG]

Of course when you open the door, the girls come to say hello :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by