RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
OK. I have decided to make a coop for my chickens who are coming
tongue.png
. I will be using 2 sheds pictured here:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...d=10053&productId=100119313&categoryID=502627

I'll try to cut holes in the shed as windows and put chicken wire over it to keep out predators. The inside will have a sealed wooden floor with lots of roosts. The 2 sheds will face each other and there will be a run between them. How does this sound? Any ideas? Can some of you post pictures of your coops?

It sounds good, except that those sheds might get really hot in the summer. Will they be in heavy shade? They might work out, depending upon where they are located.

Good Luck,

Rufus

Need to put into the shade.

Put in a sky light... and perhaps some more windows and vents!!

Last edited:
How will you convince the standards to stay in one shed and the bantams the other?

Also, chicken wire keeps out no predators, all it does is imprison the chickens.

With the other poster, do you have good afternoon shade for the summer months? Since where the shade is at this time of year will change by the summer months.

That metal will be tough to cut into to place windows.

Other than that, they will be fairly predator proof while locked up over night.

Quote:
1. They can choose where to sleep
big_smile.png

2.If the chicken wire don't work, no problem, I guess I'll use metal bars
idunno.gif

3. The area I'm putting them in VERY shady; it's surrounded by trees. The girls will be outside all day and will be inside only during the night and on rainy days.

I only saw one shed when I clicked your link... the Arrow 8 x 6 metal shed. One of those was at our house when we bought it. It got literally lifted out of a courtyard with 5 foot walls and carried around to the front of our house during a wind storm last year (40 mph winds). It was completely demolished. In it's defense, I don't think the original owned had screwed it down to the concrete. My point is that I don't believe it's terribly durable. I strong predator could probably break in.

It wouldn't be had to cut in windows if you have a drill and a jigsaw.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom