new chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amkgll, May 27, 2010.

1. amkgll

amkgll Hatching

May 27, 2010
    I have a new chicken coop and am having a hard time getting my chickens to go up the ladder into it. It is a chicken tractor so I have not been able to move it. I have there food in it and they go in it to eat put not to roast at night. It has a door on it to keep them in wasnt for sure if I should put them in there with the door closed until they get use to it. I am new with chickens and need help..[​IMG]

2. Suechick

Suechick Songster

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I had to put my chickens in their coop every night for a month until they learned to go in on their own. They finally would go in once I put in a nice roost at the top of the coop. They will roost at the highest spot, so, before the higher roost was installed they roosted on the door to the coop or the top of the gate. Your chickens may feel like they have better roosting options, the trick is to make the coop their favorite choice.

Good Luck

3. Suechick

Suechick Songster

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Oh and [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello there!

At first, you do need to put them in at night until they start going in on their own. If you wait until dusk (just when it starts getting dark), they should be easy to pick up). After doing this about three days in a row, wait until dusk again and you might be surprised to see them go in on their own.......

One thing though, I'm not sure if it's very hot where you are, so you might not want to close them in with that door shut if it's extremely hot. (Right now, here in Ohio it is like 85 and soooo humid!)

Sharon

5. zDoc

zDoc Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    [​IMG]

I just had to put mine in one time, after that they were good on their own.

6. amkgll

amkgll Hatching

May 27, 2010
    Thank you will try that tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by