New Chicken Dude in central NH

callsign222

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Hello!

After years of speculating, and months of waiting, I just got my first chickens-- 3 Silver and 3 Golden Laced Wyandottes!!!

I am very excited. One of my best friends has chickens (half meat, half layers), and he loves them, and he motivated me to screw the circumstances and the timing, and just do it already.

I am keeping my birds as layers and "pets."

Admittedly, I'm a little nervous about Marek's, I ordered them through a reputable local farm store (who gets them from McMurray), but they don't get the birds vaccinated for Marek's because some people don't want them vaccinated, so they just order all unvaccinated birds. Personally, I'd rather they did it the other way around, and if someone wanted an un-vaccinated bird, order them yourself but that's not how this place works. Spending $60+ on a mail-order vaccine now for just 6 birds post-delivery seems excessive, and I'm not going to do it. Keep my fingers crossed I guess.

Regardless, I'm excited!!! Beautiful chicks, full of pep and vinegar and perfect for our cold NH winters. Bring on the passion!

Great forum here, I've been doing pre-purchase research for a while now.

C-

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas none of my birds except one have been vaccinated I did not know until later about that. The one that was came from another byc member. I do worry but will cross that bridge if it comes.

welcome-byc.gif
from Wisco!!!

Hmmm we used to get ours from McMurray and we would have them vaccinated but now we have 2nd and 3rd generation and they are all doing fine. We have even mixed in turkeys at one point and everything has been fine.

Hope all goes well with your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom