Mountainwalker

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2017
Hello!
Myself, my wife and our three children started a small homestead in the sequoia national forest in California 4 years ago and recently started our own flock of chickens, it has been amazing so far!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes we are very new, we got our chickens back in November last year(2016)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

10 hens, 1 rooster, 4 chicks and 2 kettles.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Black Australorps and a gold australorp(who became a mama hen today! :D)
2 guinea fowl chicks

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

From a friend

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Growing food, playing music, doing art

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My occupation is an artist in the video game industry, I work from home which allows me to spend time on the homestead everyday, my wife is a stay at home mom. We also have kittens and plan to get goats and dogs to become flock/herd guardians, still need to research which dog breeds are best for that, we love German shepherds but we fear they might not work because of their predatory instinct, they will run after all of our livestock and try to eat it, unless we train them? wonder if any one had any experience with German shepherds as guardians for your flock? our chickens free range on our 2.5 acre homestead, but they rarely wonder, usually stay really close to the coop and house, which is nice, we noticed less spiders and other insects in our house compared to previous years.

Like to join my cohorts here in Welcoming you to Backyard Chickens let you know there are sister sites easygarden.com and backyardherds.com but you can talk all and everything on all three just so happy to find you here there are also state Threads as in California in the search box or query state threads under the forums headings but you seem to have a bit of a head start sit back grab a cup of coffee or ice tea and enjoy :welcome

Hello!
Myself, my wife and our three children started a small homestead in the sequoia national forest in California 4 years ago and recently started our own flock of chickens, it has been amazing so far!

2 guinea fowl chicks

From a friend

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My occupation is an artist in the video game industry, I work from home which allows me to spend time on the homestead everyday, my wife is a stay at home mom. We also have kittens and plan to get goats and dogs to become flock/herd guardians, still need to research which dog breeds are best for that, we love German shepherds but we fear they might not work because of their predatory instinct, they will run after all of our livestock and try to eat it, unless we train them? wonder if any one had any experience with German shepherds as guardians for your flock? our chickens free range on our 2.5 acre homestead, but they rarely wonder, usually stay really close to the coop and house, which is nice, we noticed less spiders and other insects in our house compared to previous years.
I would love to see some pictures of your homestead!

Hello there
I have a 7 year old rottie and have had her since she was a pup. I got 3 chicks about 2 years ago and never had a problem until last year when I got new chicks, one day she suddenly killed all the hens when they were about 12 weeks old. I had considered it could happen so I watched her closely for some time and I thought that we were ok. A few notes - my dog still never reacts to roosters, my dog doesn't just attack any of the chickens, however if the chickens get spooked and run/squack my dog immediately notices this and will chase them. (there is always a fence between the dog and chickens now, but she will run toward them until she gets to the fence).
Also lost a hen to a neighbor dog recently too, he too was not interested in the rooster.
I don't want to scare you, just to let you know that even after several months of everyone being just fine, one day it just happened. maybe if your dog is raised with them as a pup things will be different. In any case I hope you find your perfect watch dog for your homestead. Good luck and good job :)

Hello!

2 guinea fowl chicks

From a friend

Welcome aboard! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:
Get settled in and share some pics of your flock!

Back
Top Bottom