New chicken fan from Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CathyM, Jan 27, 2011.

1. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Hi!

I've been lurking here for months, enjoying all the great helpful posts as I raised my first batch of six chickens, mostly learning things the hard way (including how to build a coop without knowing what you're doing! [​IMG])

I have two barred Plymouth Rocks and four New Hampshire Reds - my "blonde bullies" as I call them... I had to build a second coop-ette for the Rocks after the blondes harrassed them too much... my own fault for buying different age chicks! But they all (mostly) get along in the yard together now, as long as they sleep separate.

I'm looking forward to getting past the "newbie" stage so I can post photos of them, and of the handmade coops (I'm not a carpenter, but perhaps I can help as a bad example. [​IMG] ) I can tell that I'm becoming a chicken fanatic because I am yearning for more chicks this season, even though I can't give away all the eggs I'm already getting! [​IMG] I've been giving dozens away to a local church that puts on free meals several times a week - I'm very glad to donate!

I'm also a poet (webmaster of the OR State Poetry Assoc. site) and a freelance writer, so I can work at home and keep an eye on my hens!

Cathy

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
  3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

4. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Calidornia [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Cathy! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

6. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Welcome from NW Washington State [​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Wow... coool!!! WELCOME and all that Jazz... where do ya hail from?

There is a meet and greet in Canby April 23 I think.. come meet me!!! Welcome newbie!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks for all the welcomes!!
    And thanks for the news of the Canby swap - I was hoping there'd be some local gatherings!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by