New chicken fan from the Blue Ridge Mountains!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ForestChilde, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ForestChilde

ForestChilde Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi,

I'm a new chicken friend and fan from the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA. I just got my first flock about 4 weeks ago. 5 Amberlinks, 3 Easter Eggers (they were supposed to be Araucanas but my research tells me they are Easter Eggers), and one Buff Orpington. I love my little chickies and am excited for my new adventure. We had been wanting to get some for a while and this year I decided I was just going to do it. Now we have an excuse to get going on that coop! No worries, they are in a larger brooder right now and have plenty of space. My chicks all have names from literary, movie, or TV characters. I have the Amberlinks -Violet Crawley, Seven of Nine, Danerys TargaryHen, Rosie Cotton, Hermione FreeRanger..the Easter Eggers - Kylo Hen, Coraline, Narcissa Malfoy..and the one Buff Orpington - Scully.

Aside from my chickens I'm a gardener (and work for the local community garden association), activist, cat lover, hiker, camper, and general outdoorsy kind of person. I am married (17 years) have two grown girls from my first marriage - one who just got chickens herself and is on here, have three cats, and am caregiver for my 88 year old mom. Yes, I have a full plate and the chickens are my therapy!

I also just acquired a grown roo from my nieghbor and am trying to nurse him back to health. He was injured and as a result was not being treated well by his flock. So I took him for the time being to see if he can recover. I posted more about him in the emergencies, diseases, and injuries forum.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your chicks. I like your user name - I was a forest child, and have never outgrown it.

3. ForestChilde

Mar 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks sourland. Love the forest and mountains!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The Sourlands are an upthrust-fault 'Mountain ' in NJ. I spent my childhood wandering them.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I believe the Mountains were named after Sourland but, he is too humble to admit it.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ForestChilde

Mar 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Hee hee!

I forgot to mention that I have two 5 year old grandchildren who also love some of tge same things their "Yaya" loves...including chickens! Glad to meet y'all. :)

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

You seem to have a lot going on, but its great that you have a little time to squeeze chicken-keeping in as well.

All the best
    CT

8. ForestChilde

Mar 6, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks CTKen! Yep...full plate for sure. But thankfully the chickens are also entertainment for my mom who has a moderate case of dementia. She's really enjoying the roo! :)

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome, and its good that your mum also enjoys them!

CT

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Great to hear you and your mother are enjoying the chickens (and your daughter too)!

It's nice to have you join us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by