New chicken farmer as of February this year

Rob Sivulka

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 1, 2012
West Jordan, UT
Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts,

I live in West Jordan, UT. I'm a Christian (no, I'm not Mormon even though I live in UT) missionary as well as an online philosophy professor.

Just started raising 4 RIR chicks on President's Day (February 20, 2012). They were born on Valentine's Day.

I guess what really made me become a chicken farmer is that my wife is wanting us to eat more organic, however the cost is, as you know, quite a bit. I've been planting lots of fruits and vegetables for the past couple years, and so raising chickens seemed to be the next step. In addition, a number of our friends were getting into it as well. I'm so happy I made the decision to become a chicken farmer... despite the fact that initial set-up costs make me wonder when we'll start saving $ on eggs! No matter... we're in it for the long-haul.

Here's a shot of our chicken coop and run: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....550845859007.2077311.68603109&type=3&theater.

Rob Sivulka

Last edited:
WelcometoBYC.gif

welcome-byc.gif
You can find an enormous amount of information here! We just started with 12 chicks in March and we truly love the experience we are having so far! I am now looking into starting my own mealworm farm to have treats for the chickens this winter and I am also researching hatching eggs but I need to build an additional coop and run first because I want them to be separate from our free range flock.

Hello and :welcome

Sounds like a good plan! Love your avatar too, it's cute. :p
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom