New Chicken Farmer from Driftless, WI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmBurl, Mar 11, 2018.

1. FarmBurl

FarmBurl In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2018
    Wisconsin
    HI, all! I've been gardening and raising dogs, cats, kids and a husband for years, now but for some reason was always a little nervous about getting chickens... I pick up my day-olds today from our local farm supply store (Silver-Laced Wyandotte)! My kids are very excited! They've even helped me select a couple of different breeds that will round out our flock nicely when they arrive in July (Barnevelder and Easter Egger). Hoping that all of their mild temperaments will mesh well.

I'm currently working with a big cardboard brooder box set up and trolling Pinterest looking at all of those beautiful re-purposed dressers! :love My biggest concerns have been with our weather, but all of the posts I've read here have already helped so much with that!! My next challenge will be to build a coop - So happy to be a part of this awesome community!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.
    Get busy on the coop...they grow super fast!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Plip, ronott1, rjohns39 and 1 other person like this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    :welcome so glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your own baby chicks.

Ditto on getting your coop plans going, they grow so very fast and will be ready to move to their forever home in 5-6 weeks.

Before you get the newbies in July, do explore the articles and threads on integrating new chicks to the flock. You will need to keep the July babies separated at first and have a plan on how to merge the two ages together.

5. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcometoBYC.jpeg

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

You will enjoy the baby chicks

7. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    I brooded a lot of chicks in cardboard boxes before stepping up to... well, a plywood box.

Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

rjohns39, FarmBurl, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under FarmBurl :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These might be of particular interest to you:
    Topic/Question of the week - Brooding and supplementing heat for chicks
    Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks
    Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

rjohns39, FarmBurl, ronott1 and 3 others like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Please follow Teila's link to your state thread. BYCERS there will be best able to recommend what type of - coop, breed, management practices will benefit your flock during weather extremes.

10. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcome BYC is a very interesting and useful site when you are in need for information. There are a lot of different forums that are really hard to choose from!;) Getting baby chicks is exciting and can also be worrying when it is the first time! Please update on your chicks and we will be happy to see them when they turn to beautiful chickens! Again, Welcome!:wee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: